Big Thunder Gold Mine

Big Thunder Gold Mine (originally named Gold Hill Lode) was discovered in 1892 by two German immigrant miners, W.B. Krupp and J.A. Engle. They migrated across America separately but met in Keystone, SD. Their common language connected them and they eventually became partners.   By 1914, the nearly 60-year-old miners had cut 680 feet into the mountain and 240 feet underground.  Julius Engle owned Big Thunder Gold Mine until his death on November 4, 1921, still clinging to the dream of “The Big Discovery.”  

We Recommend:



604 Blair Street
Keystone, SD 57751

(605) 666-4847